Saturday 31 January 2009

Bring It



Had my first solo run for almost two weeks this morning: Gladstone Park. 5 miles (8k) in 36 min, so only one minute under par and it felt so good. Got a twinge of shin pain a mile in, but a good stretch dispelled it entirely and it didn't return.

Feels so good to be road worthy again. With nothing besides last week's group run and a gentle six miler with Hayley around the Heath, mid week, and with Prague ever closer, I was beginning to feel like this:

(I'm not a dog, though) 
(In anything but the vaguest metaphorical sense.)

I'm just glad that taking the time off put-paid to the pain. My commiserations go out most particularly at this time to Katie and her achilles tendon. The best advice I've had to offer is the need to discipline one's rest so that one is genuinely healed before running in earnest one again. I ran more in the first week of this year that I have for the entirety of the remainder of the month, but it has paid off.

I'm going to alternate long runs, short runs and rest days this week. By the end of this week/start of the next, I want a shot at 10 or more miles. I want to be running the full 20k before the halfway mark to Prague.

4 comments:

  1. I've been running with a guy from Church two or three mornings a week for the past three weeks. We started out running about 1.5 miles, and have slowly increased this to 7.5 miles (this morning). We're not running all that fast yet as neither of us are in particularly good shape, but it's great to be out and active!

    Good on ya for persisting through your shin pains...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!

    I'm really glad to hear it. Are there some nice routes around Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for getting back to solo runs! I'm glad to hear that everything seems to be getting back on par now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Seb. Pain is easing which is good - but SO desperate to get running again!! I can't believe how much I miss it. I've been doing tonnes of floor exercises and stretches just to keep active, but not sure how much more to push. Was thinking I could try a longish (flat) walk on Wednesday which will be 1 week since it happened - what do you recon? Should I just be more patient?

    ReplyDelete