Monday 12 January 2009

Return to the Dark Side

Stepped outside at 6:30 for a run to Primrose Hill this morning. A lot of parks don't open until 7-7:30, but I know from experience that Primrose Hill is open all night - I've been there as early as 4:30am.


I've run very little in the dark this academic year, thanks to a timetable that allows me late starts in the morning. In previously years, however, I've had to get up regularly at 5:30 in order to have time to get in to Uni and running in the dark always feels nostalgic if I haven't done it for a while. My favourite time to run is, of course, just before dawn. Getting back before it's light does get rather miserable if done too often.


I managed the five miles in 34 minutes - a very comfortable 6.8 min/mile (=14 kph). It feels good to be up early, rather than running in the stress prime time commuting.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch, 6:30 is kind of early... but it's good knowing it's open 24 hours. I think I'll put it down as a good 'late night' run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing *quite* like any park at 4:30am, but Primrose Hill is especially recommended. From there, a spookily quiet Regent's Park Outer Circle is also worth a tour.

    ReplyDelete