Monday 9 February 2009

Dutch Run

"Moisture is the essence of wetness... and wetness is the essence of beauty."
Derek Zoolander


Here is one of the few waterfalls in that I am aware of in central London. (There's probably one in the centre circle of Regents Park, and I'd be unsurprised to find one or two up towards Highgate, but that's getting a bit further out. If you know of any others, let me know and I'll have fun tracking them down.)

I overslept this morning, waking to a cold gray rainy day. I'd nonetheless committed to run - I really need to be picking up the pace (both metaphorically and literally) not least given that I got so busy last week that I only made it out twice (what great runs though!) - anyway I wanted somewhere a bit different and Holland park was the first place that came to mind.



Hidden between Notting Hill and Kensington High Street, the park is inextricably linked in my mind with the surprise I first felt at discovering woodland - of all things - in such an area. Better still, for those who venture into the centre (not really challenging in any respect, I grant you, but one could get distracted by the Manor grounds (a further portion of absolute juxtaposition) that comprise the southern portion of the park, or one might be averse to mud) is the Japanese Garden.


I absolutely adore Japanese gardens. While it would have been breathtaking in the snow this time last week, this is otherwise just about the worst time of year to see it and it isn't particularly big, but nonetheless it is great and I heart it. Unsurpassingly peaceful and delicious early on a summer's morning (which regrettably this morning was almost as far removed from as it is possible to be).


Holland Park was a hearty 7.5 miles which I ran in a healthy 55 minutes (~13 kph). I'll be attempting to maintain the same pace over longer distances later in the week. I want to get out on Wednesday, and hopefully I'll get myself up to the full 21K on Saturday in honour of having then passed the halfway mark to Prague.


A miserable time of year, really. Here some less-than-half-hearted blossom and some shooty-flowery-type things were making a rather pathetic-looking attempt at spring. I got absolutely drenched after only the first few minutes this morning. Rain was coming down quite relentlessly at times. I didn't mind it too much though. There is a certain enjoyment and release to be had once you pass that threshold of wetness.

3 comments:

  1. The pictures are beautiful...and according to your Derek Zoolander quote, I'm sure you were quite beautiful too, after a while in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There is a certain enjoyment and release to be had once you pass that threshold of wetness."

    TWSS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirty...and yet, highly appropriate.

    ReplyDelete