Wednesday 11 March 2009

Empty Streets


Today is the one day this week that I don't have a 9am start. Ironic, then, that it should be the earliest I've risen for a couple of weeks now.

I got up specifically to catch the sunrise. 


There was a beautiful clear sky last night and I had firm hopes for a nice morning. Getting up at 6 (and out by 6:15) was just a  little too late to catch the 6:24 sunrise, however. The unbeatable time to run is just before dawn breaks. It's very hard to time precisely, but what I love most is getting the very beginnings of the sun on the horizon at the mid-point of my run (which, as often as not, is a hill).


Setting out, I realised just how much I miss being out decently early. Being out in streets devoid of life is quite delicious. So few of my runs over the last six months have been before the noise of daily commute begins. I'm going to make a habit of getting out this early over the next two months of revision and exams.


I took a new route today - through lower West Hampstead through to Parliament Hill. The area is viciously hilly, but it was good exercise.


I've always approached the Heath from the West from Kilburn, so it made a nice change to come up from the South.


Parliament Hill was a staple run of mine last year, from Holloway. I greatly miss the streets to and from the hill from the East - I am well acquainted with them in the early morning. From my current abode, the West Heath and the Kenwood estate have lured me away from Parliament Hill, but it really is unrivalled for an ideal morning panoramic view. 



























I missed the sun's first peak over the horizon, but it was an exhilerating sunrise nonetheless.





1 comment: